Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
On Our Site

Site  This Folder

Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get a copy of my birth/death/marriage certificate?
Certified copies of births, deaths and marriages recorded in Tisbury are available for $10.00 per copy.

Do I need a dog license and how do I get one?
Dogs over the age of six months must be licensed. The license period is a calendar year. The fee for spayed females and neutered males is $6.00. The fee for intact males and females is $10.00. Proof of a current rabies shot is required. Late fines begin on March 1st.

How do I get married in Massachusetts?
Please call this office and we will sent you a packet that includes the medical forms, pamphlet on getting married in Massachusetts and the AIDS education pamphlet or link to

 How do I vote in Tisbury?
Who may register to vote in Tisbury?
Only a person who is:
A US Citizen, and
A resident of Tisbury, and
18 years old on or before the next election day
When may I register?
There is no waiting period to be eligible to register to vote. If you move, you may register to vote as soon as you move into your new home.
Are there deadlines for registration?
Yes. In order to vote you must be registered:
20 days before all primaries and elections, and/or
10 days before a special town meeting
How do I register to vote?
Mail: Mail-in registration forms are widely available. To obtain a mail-in registration form please call 508-696-4215 and a form will be sent to you. Mail the completed form to: Tisbury Town Clerk; P.O. Box 606; Vineyard Haven, MA, 02568.
In Person: Go to any registration location and complete an affidavit of registration.
At the Registry of Motor Vehicles: Keep your motor voter receipt until you receive a confirmation from us. If you do not receive a confirmation notice, please call us at 508-696-4215.
Where will I vote?
The polling place for Tisbury is the Emergency Services Facility at 215 Spring St. (directly across from the playground at the Tisbury School).
When are town meetings/elections held?
The Annual Town Meeting starts on the third Tuesday of April. The Annual Town Election is held two weeks after the start of the Annual Town Meeting and the polls are open from noon to 8 pm. The date of the annual town meeting and election may be changed by vote of the Board of Selectmen. Special Town Meetings are called by the Board of Selectmen or voter petition.
State Elections occur every other year in even numbered years. The state primary is conducted in September, the election in November, and the polls are open from 7am to 8pm.
Presidential Primaries are held once every four years in March. Hours are the same as for state elections.
How do I run for a local public office?
Town elections are non-partisan. Any resident who is a registered voter is eligible to run for office. Nomination papers are available at the Town Clerk's Office after January 1st each year.

Assessors 1 for 3 yrs
Board of Health 1 for 3 yrs.
Constables 3 for 3 yrs.
Finance and Advisory Committee 3 for 3 yrs.
Library Trustees 3 for 3 yrs.
Martha's Vineyard Land Bank 1 for 3 yrs.
Moderator 1 for 3 yrs.
Planning Board 1 for 5 yrs.
School Committee 1 for 3 yrs.
Selectmen 1 for 3 yrs.
Town Clerk 1 for 3 yrs.
Water Commissioner 1 for 3 yrs.
(Not all offices appear on the ballot each year.)

Other Election Questions
For other questions, please call 508-696-4215 or

How do I start a business in Tisbury?
Business Certificate/DBA
Any person conducting business in the commonwealth under any title other than the real name of the person conducting the business must file a business certificate (also known as a DBA) with the clerk of the town where the office of any such person may be situated. The fee is $20.00 and the certificate is good for four (4) years. Forms are available in the town clerk's office. Click here to go to the "Form" for requesting New or Renewal of Business Certificate.
Transient Vendor's License
Any business (excluding corporations) selling retail must obtain a transient vendor's license from the selectmen. The local fee is $300.00 and is in lieu of taxes for the first year the business is in existence.
Other Licenses and Permits
Depending on the type and location of the business, other local permits may be required.
State Licenses
Please check with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue for information about sales tax etc.Go to:

Where do I get a hunting or fresh water fishing license?
Hunting and fishing licenses are only available online. Licenses are valid from January 1 to December 31 of the calendar year. Licenses are required for all persons 15 years of age and over for fishing (inland waters) and hunting (any bird or mammal). To obtain a hunting license one must present a previous year's hunting or sporting license (from any state), a certificate of competency issued by the Hunter Education Bureau (or the Department of Public Safety), a License to Carry, or a F.I.D. Card. Go to: Click here to see the Hunting, Trapping, Fishing, and Sporting License Fee Schedule.

How do I request records for Births, Deaths, Marriages?
Print the form, fill out the form, and bring the form to the Town Clerk at the Town Hall with $10.00 for each copy requested. You can also mail the form to the
Tisbury Town Clerk
P.O. Box 606
Vineyard Haven, Ma. 02568
If you have questions, Please call 508 696-4215

Where can I get a copy of the Massachusetts General Laws?
NOTICE: - This is NOT the official version of the Massachusetts General Laws (MGL). While reasonable efforts have been made to assure the accuracy of the data provided, do not rely on this information without first checking an official edition of the MGL.
If you are in need of legal advice or counsel, consult a lawyer.
Where can I get a copy of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations?

Tisbury Town Seal
Town of Tisbury  51 Spring St., P.O. Box 1239, Vineyard Haven, MA 02568  Phone (508) 696-4200
Important Numbers and Hours      Terms & Conditions
Virtual Towns & Schools Website